Eastown is an eclectic, walkable community just a five-minute drive from downtown Grand Rapids. Known for its progressive values, Eastown is a diverse neighborhood with a rich history. As a former streetcar thoroughfare, it’s easy to walk or bike along Eastown’s cobblestone streets to visit local shops and restaurants in beautiful, historic buildings.
Where Is the Eastown Neighborhood?
Eastown is just east of downtown Grand Rapids. With Aquinas College in its northeast corner, Eastown is bordered by Fulton Street to the north, Fuller Avenue to the west, Franklin Street to the south, and Rosewood Avenue to the east. The neighborhood is just west of East Grand Rapids.
Which Zip Codes Are in Eastown?
All of Eastown resides in the 49506 zip code.
Eastown Homes for Sale
What Kind of Homes Are Found in Eastown?
In Eastown, you’ll find medium to large homes perfect for young couples and families with children. Most homes in Eastown have at least three or four bedrooms, if not more, and most are detached styles, meaning that they don’t share any walls with neighboring residences.
Some larger homes have been divided up into duplexes to house more than one family. Roughly 60% of Eastown residences own their homes; the remaining 40% rent.
History of Eastown Homes
In the late 1800s, streetcars introduced the novel possibility of working downtown but living somewhere else. Communities sprung up wherever the streetcar travelled, and Eastown was no exception. According to Calvin College, the Wealthy Street streetcar promised reliable transportation to the residents of what became known as Eastown.
By the 1940s, the streetcars were gone, but the wide, walkable roads and large homes of Eastown remained. You can often tell which houses were built during the streetcar days due to their American Foursquare floor plans: a boxy foundation with four rooms on the first floor and four on the second.
Buying a Home in Eastown
How Long Do Eastown Homes Stay on the Market?
Eastown’s history, diversity, and walkability have made it one of top 10 hottest “hipster” markets in the country. In 2020, an average home in Eastown sold in just five days.
What Do Eastown Homes Sell for?
The average home in Eastown sells for around $255,000.
Houses for Sale in Eastown, Grand Rapids, MI
At 616 Realty, we help our clients find the home of their dreams. Here are the homes currently for sale in Eastown in Grand Rapids, Michigan:
More Information About Eastown
Some children living in Eastown attend schools in the East Grand Rapids Public Schools district, such as:
- Elementary: Breton Downs, Lakeside Elementary, or Wealthy Elementary
- Middle: East Grand Rapids Middle School
- High School: East Grand Rapids High School
Eastown is estimated to have a population of just over 5,000.
You don’t have to go far to find great local businesses offering high-quality, eclectic merchandise in Eastown:
- Spirit Dreams: Can’t find the right gift for a family member or friend? Spirit Dreams specializes in unique gifts, carrying everything from jewelry to books to incense to art.
- Rebel: The products at Rebel are one-of-a-kind finds, from candles to paper goods to puzzles to kitchen decor.
- Argos Book Shop: Support a local business and find incredible used books for great prices at Argos Book Shop.
Feeling hungry? Eastown boasts a wide variety of restaurants that can serve you something delicious any time of day:
- The Chez Olga: Try some Haitian fare and other Caribbean cuisine from this talented mother-daughter duo on Wealthy Street. Trust us—you can’t miss this building.
- Eastown Cafe: Enjoy a hearty breakfast or have a panini, sandwich, or wrap for lunch at this local staple.
- Fruition Acai & Juice Bar: Hungry for something light and fresh? Stop by Fruition Acai & Juice Bar for a healthy bowl or cup of deliciousness.
There are many grocery stores not far from Eastown, including:
- Family Fare Supermarket: Browse a wide selection from this local chain.
- Wealthy Market: This local market is open late for your grocery needs.
- Rakowski Family Farm Market: Enjoy locally-sourced meats from the Rakowski family farm in Wayland, MI.
Parks & Recreation
Eastown offers an urban feel without sacrificing natural greenspaces, such as:
- Wilcox Park: This city park boats a splash pad, basketball court, playground, and garden.
- Sigsbee Park: With a new playground installed in 2017, this park is a great destination for young families.
Eastown is just west of Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital, an award-winning hospital recognized nationally for its quality of care. It offers state-of-the-art healthcare services, including:
- 24/7 emergency department
- Bariatric surgery
- Joint replacement and treatment
- Cardiac care
- Spine care