Alger Heights is an up-and-coming neighborhood in southeast Grand Rapids, Michigan. As a tight-knit, walkable community, it offers everything from beautiful parks to lively shopping centers to delicious local restaurants.
Let’s take a look at the types of homes for sale in Alger Heights as well as the schools, health services, and other features of the community.
Where Is the Alger Heights Neighborhood?
Alger Heights is a small slice of southeast Grand Rapids, only a 10-minute drive from downtown. Bordered by 28th Street to the south, it’s not far from sprawling shopping centers like Woodland Mall. Eastern Ave and Kalamazoo Ave create borders to the west and east, respectively, and Burton Street acts as the border to the north.
This prime location allows Alger Heights homeowners to enjoy bustling streets full of restaurants and shops, such as The Old Goat and Wally’s Treasures Antique Mall, while also enjoying greenspaces like MacKay-Jaycees Park and Indian Trails Golf Course. As a walkable community with friendly neighbors, Alger Heights offers a small-town feel in the middle of a big city. Not many neighborhoods have the sense of community that Alger Heights has.
Which Zip Codes Are in Alger Heights?
Most Alger Heights houses reside in 49507, although a small portion of homes in the southwest corner of the neighborhood reside in 49508. The neighborhood is close to both 49506 and 49548.
What Kind of Homes Are Found in Alger Heights?
Alger Heights is a great neighborhood for new families or for families looking to expand their living space. There are many kinds of houses on the market, including starter homes, ranches, two-story homes, recently renovated or flipped homes, and historic homes.
What is the Average Home Size?
The average home in Alger Heights is about 1,322 square feet and has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. These homes are a great option for new families and young professionals.
What is the History of Alger Heights Homes?
The housing boom in Alger Heights started in 1940–1941. The business district was established not long after in 1946.
How Long Do Alger Heights Homes Stay on the Market?
In 2020, an average home in the neighborhood stayed on the market for just five days. This trend is expected to stay the same in 2021. In fact, Alger Heights was rated the second most competitive real estate market in the country in 2019!
What Do Alger Heights Homes Sell for?
The average home in Alger Heights sells for about $192,050.
More Information About Alger Heights:
Children who live in Alger Heights reside in the Grand Rapids Public School district within the Kent Intermediate School District (Kent ISD).
Alger Middle School resides within the neighborhood itself. Brookside Elementary School, Mulick Park Elementary School, and Ottawa Hills High School are close by.
Alger Heights has a population of 4,144. The neighborhood has a large population of young professionals and young families.
There are great shopping opportunities in and near the neighborhood, including:
- Reinspired Treasures: Ready to redecorate? Reinspired Treasures is a treasure trove of vintage home decor as well as other antique and artisan products.
- Woodland Mall: With Woodland Mall only three miles away, you can enjoy the quiet walkable community of Alger Heights without missing out on big-city shopping opportunities.
- Meijer: Want brand-name groceries, electronics, and more? The nearest Meijer is conveniently located right across 28th Street.
- Smaller Shopping Centers: Check out smaller malls like Breton Village, Alger Heights Shopping Center, and Kentwood Plaza.
Want a bite to eat? Alger Heights boasts great local restaurants just steps away from your home, such as:
- Real Food Cafe: Enjoy the classic diner vibes and start your morning off right with a delicious breakfast from Real Food Cafe. Breakfast is served all day, and lunch starts at 11 a.m. Be sure to try the scrumptious homemade cinnamon rolls!
- The Old Goat: This traditional American restaurant offers yummy soups, salads, sandwiches, and pizzas. It’s another feather in the cap of the masterful chefs who started The Electric Cheetah.
- Brass Ring Brewing: Transport yourself to a traditional English pub with a stop at Brass Ring Brewing. Treat yourself to a pub ale, porter, or stout, and don’t forget to order some English classics like bangers and mash or pub style curry.
- Tacos Don Beto’s: In the mood for some authentic Mexican food? Tacos Don Beto’s offers a delicious menu and fast service at great prices. Their tacos can’t be beat.
If you need to stock up on some kitchen staples, there are plenty of grocery stores nearby you can visit:
Parks and Recreation
One of the best parts about living in Alger Heights is that there are so many greenspaces, allowing community members to get out and enjoy the outdoors in places like:
- MacKay-Jaycees Park: Throw the ball around at MacKay-Jaycees Park, which boasts baseball and soccer fields as well as basketball and tennis courts. You can also use the picnic shelters and playground equipment for a perfect family afternoon spent outdoors.
- Neighborhood Parks: Enjoy smaller playgrounds and greenspaces just a short walk from your front door, like Alger Park, Seymour Park, and Ottawa Hills Park.
- Plaster Creek Trail: Stroll along Plaster Creek toward Ken-O-Sha Park.
Whether you need a simple checkup or an emergency visit, you can count on the healthcare facilities near Alger Heights to provide quality healthcare for you and your family.
- Family Medicine: Does your child need a check-up? They’ll receive great medical care at Alger Pediatrics.
- Hospitals: This neighborhood is within five or ten miles of many hospitals, including Mercy Health Saint Mary’s and Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital.
- Mental Health Services: The Alger Heights neighborhood is close to a number of mental health service providers, including Grand Rapids Counseling Services, Hope Network Behavioral Health, and Adolescent & Family Behavioral Health Services.